The Portuguese government established 3 phases of easing of the lockdown, to reassure public health and the security for all our visitors.
On the 1st of June, if the country’s situation remains positive, phase 3 will begin, with new measures and fewer limitations.
To all our visitors, investors and Portugal lovers, here are the most important points you need to know:
- Do you want to visit Portugal during this period? Here are our borders and prophylactic isolation rules.
The Portuguese government decided to extend until June 15th (00:00) the control of visitants at the internal Portuguese borders. As Portugal has a physical border with Spain, if you think about travelling to Portugal through Spain, take note that:
- All flights, from all airlines, commercial or private, coming from or going to Spain, with arrival or departure in any Portuguese airport or aerodromes, are suspended.
There’s an exemption for special situations as cargo and mail flights, as well as the humanitarian-flights or medical-flight and the technical stopovers to non-commercial purposes.
- Road traffic, rail traffic and river transportation on internal terrestrial borders are suspended. Once again, there are exceptions, as the transportation of goods, cross-border workers, or seasonal workers (you will need a proof of employment for that matter), emergency vehicles, and other situations predicted by law.
The traffic restrictions will not apply if:
- You´re a national citizen or you hold a valid residence permit.
- You are travelling to family reunion purposes.
- You are under a health bilateral agreement and you need assistance in a healthcare unit.
- You are trying to exit the country to travel to your residency country.
- In the case of diplomatic traffic, armed force and security services staff, health, and emergency professionals.
If you are trying to travel to Portugal from other countries, the air borders are still restricted until June 15th, with the following exceptions:
- In Portugal, all flights are permitted, within the European Union.
- Other countries from the Schengen Area - Liechtenstein, Norway, Island, and Switzerland - are also allowed to travel to Portugal.
- Countries of official Portuguese language - in Brazil you can only travel from Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.
- Countries with a high presence of Portuguese communities: UK, United States, Venezuela, Canada, and South Africa.
Cases that are not affected by the restrictions:
- Flights intended to allow the return to Portugal of national citizens or citizens with a residence permit.
- Flights intended to allow the return of other citizens to their respective countries, with the involvement of the authorities of each country.
- Flights performed by the State and Armed Force planes.
- Flights of humanitarian or medical emergency and the technical stopover to non-commercial purposes.
- Visiting Portugal will involve any sanitary control or mandatory lockdown?
If Portugal is your final destination, here are the measures that will need to be considered:
At the airports or borders, a sanitary control can be installed, all the travellers, not only tourists, can be asked to fulfil a declaration, already approved by our government, giving some data and contacts. For your security, in case of contact with a COVID-19 infected, the Health Securities will contact you to the contacts given in the declaration, to make sure you are aware that you had a contact with a COVID-19 patient.
The Mandatory Lockdown is only applied in the following cases and must be imposed by the health authority:
- The diseased with COVID-19 and the infected with SARS-CoV2.
- The citizens to whom the health authority or other health professional had determined active surveillance.
- Will the authorities accept expired documents?
The citizen identification card and certificates issued by the register and civil identification services, driving license, residence permits and visas related to the permanence in national territory, as well as the licenses and authorizations, whose validity expire as of May 1st are accepted until the October 30th, 2020.
If you are in the renovation process, the documents referred above continue to be accepted under the same terms after the October 30th, 2020, if the holder proves that he or she has already scheduled the respective renovation.
Please note that expired documents between February 28th, 2020, and May 1st, 2020 are only accepted until June 30th, 2020. If you are in the renovation process, the documents referred above continue to be accepted, if the holder proves that he or she has already scheduled the respective renovation.